How to apply Metallic Epoxy DIY
PLEASE READ ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE BEGINNING. IF YOU HAVE
ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE US A CALL: 1.877.703.7699
- 1 How to apply Metallic Epoxy DIY
- 1.1 TOOLS NEEDED TO DO YOUR PROJECT:
- 1.1.1 FLOOR PREP:
- 1.1.2 PREPARATION BEFORE MIXING:
- 1.1.3 STEP 1: MIXING BASE COAT PRIMER:
- 1.1.4 STEP 2: POUR – ROLL OUT:
- 1.1.5 STEP 3: MIXING METALLIC CLEAR TOP COAT & POWDER PIGMENT:
- 1.1.6 STEP 4: ROLLER FINISH INTERMEDIATE STEP
- 1.1.7 STEP 3: RANDOM PATTERN MARBLE EFFECT PROCESS
- 1.1.8 HOW TO APPLY MARBLING TECHNIQUE
- 1.1 TOOLS NEEDED TO DO YOUR PROJECT:
TOOLS NEEDED TO DO YOUR PROJECT:
- Cordless Drill or low variable speed electric drill
- Mixing Wand
- 2 – 5 gallon buckets for mixing
- Roller screen (or paint rolling tray if preferred)
- Spiked shoes (optional)
- Notched Squeegee
- 3/8” Nap Roller cover with 9” or 18” Roller frame.
- Diamond grinder machine (optional)
- Shop vac (recommended) or broom and dustpan
Fill any existing cracks. Let dry according to product directions. When dry sand/diamond grind floor gently removing any old existing coatings. Sweep up and/or vacuum thoroughly. If you suspect any pre-existing contamination such as; Armour-All and/or other silicone products, oils and/or any other chemical contamination feel free to give us a call for further instructions.
PREPARATION BEFORE MIXING:
- Assemble poles, roller frames, covers & spiked shoes. Tape off baseboards at 1/16” from the floor.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Securely attach spiked shoes (optional use*) onto your shoes before mixing.
STEP 1: MIXING BASE COAT PRIMER:
Mix, for no less than 4 minutes, – 2 Parts A to 1 Part B PRIMER (4 to 1 ratio = 1 gallon part A & 1 quart part B).
STEP 2: POUR – ROLL OUT:
Once epoxy is mixed place roller screen into the bucket. Using roller frame and 3/8” nap roller cover, dip and roll out a very thin and even coat. ELIMINATE ANY PUDDLES. You have up to an hour to apply. Begin distributing the epoxy from one side of the room to the other and working away from the starting point wall until floor is evenly and completely coated.
DRY TIME: Please Allow approximately 8 to 12 hours before applying the Finish coat of EpoxyPRO Metallics
Before mixing: Assemble poles, squeegee, roller frames, covers & attach spiked shoes onto your shoes (optional*).
KEEP IN MIND: Mix Parts A & B for no less than 4 MINUTES. Once mixed IMMEDIATELY pour all of the epoxy out onto the floor and then proceed quickly as coating will begin to set up in approximately 30 MINUTES.
STEP 3: MIXING METALLIC CLEAR TOP COAT & POWDER PIGMENT:
Mix – Part A & Part B TOPCOAT (1 gallon part A to ½ gallon part B) for 2 MINUTES THEN ADD 1 JAR of the Metallic pigment powder and continue mixing for 2 additional minutes.
Once mixed IMMEDIATELY pour out all of the epoxy into a long puddle at the furthest point of the room 6 inches from the wall. Begin the squeegee process of pushing the puddle from one side of the room to the other and working away from the starting point wall until floor is evenly and completely coated. Follow immediately with next step.
STEP 4: ROLLER FINISH INTERMEDIATE STEP
Roll out Squeegeed epoxy material until coating is even and to help with self-leveling, and then follow rolling by using a trim brush around the edges. Wait 10 minutes before proceeding to the next and final step.
STEP 3: RANDOM PATTERN MARBLE EFFECT PROCESS
AFTER color pigment topcoat has been squeegeed and rolled, and has been allowed to settle for the approximate 10 minutes; start in left corner and continue with the marbling technique (explained below) across the room (or smaller sections if not using spike shoes) working your way out until finished.
HOW TO APPLY MARBLING TECHNIQUE
Hold the extension pole with roller frame and roller cover with 3/8 inch nap straight in front of you. Create half circle patterns side by side and across the whole floor surface by twisting pole left to right and slightly lifted but still touching material. Work your way across the whole surface of the floor and out of the room until it has all been completed with half circles. Epoxy will naturally cure into a truly unique marbling finish. VERY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT DRAG YOUR SPIKED SHOES! Carefully pick your feet up and down as you move across the floor.
Cure Time: 16 to 24 hours
* PLEASE NOTE RECOMMENDATIONS:
- If choosing to wear spiked shoes please securely attach them to your shoes before
- Do NOT walk on wet epoxy without spiked shoes.
- Without the use of spiked shoes and to ensure enough work time – mixing smaller batches of epoxy is recommended so that you can reach across sections of floor to squeegee and roll smaller areas at a time while standing on concrete substrate.
- Check coating surface for tackiness, approximate readiness; Light foot traffic: 12 hours/vehicles: 24 hours.
- After 24 hours it is recommended that you carry and set down – DO NOT DRAG – heavy items/equipment across freshly cured coating.
- Helpful Tip: Before starting your project add our phone number into your contacts for quick assess just in case you need us! Need assistance? Call: 1. 877.703.7699